The fear of studio portraiture stops right here.
Know your way around your camera, but get sweaty palms as soon as anyone mentions flash or strobes? Bad lighting takes a good portrait and tosses it away with odd shadows, blown out highlights and obscured details. But good lighting? That’s how photographers like Richard Avedon and Annie Leibowitz created their signature portrait style.
In this class, you’ll learn everything you need to know to not just properly light a portrait, but to create your own signature lighting style.
Over the course of five hands-on studio sessions, you’ll recreate the lighting styles of famous portrait photographers such as Richard Avedon, Albert Watson, Annie Leibovitz, Dan Winters, Nadav Kander, and Platon. Along the way, you'll learn:
• The difference between hard and soft light and how to create each style
• How to successfully light a shoot with a single light and how to manage multi-light set-ups
• How to work with models, lenses and cameras to complete the look
• The trick behind that “halo” effect
• The gear that you need — and the gear that you don’t
• Classic lighting styles including Rembrandt, Butterfly, Broad and Narrow
Don’t waste money on studio equipment that you don’t even know how to use — start by getting hands-on experience in a fully equipped professional studio. Learn what types of lights suit your style best so you don’t end up spending hundreds to experiment with lights only to find you bought continuous and really need strobes. While you’re at it, you’ll be creating images of professional models to get a jump start on your portrait portfolio.
This course is designed for you if you:
• Know your way around basic camera settings, but feel lost when it comes to studio light
• Want to learn how to take your portraits to the next level
• Want to get started in professional portrait photography, but need portfolio samples
• Need to develop your own photography style
- Digital SLR
Jeff Shaffer has been a commercial/advertising photographer and video producer for over 25 years. Together with his wife and business partner, photographer Dawn Smith, he has produced award-winning advertising and editorial imagery for clients such as Bon Appetit, Family Circle, Guinness, Heineken, Neiman-Marcus, Poland Spring, and Smirnoff. A desire to share this experience and knowledge has led to a second career as an educator and trainer. For more than 15 years, in both higher education and training facilities, Jeff has developed and taught many courses in digital photography, studio lighting and software. He has trained a wide variety of corporate, higher education, and government employees, as well as many individuals of all ages, careers and interests.
- Understanding how light affects the subject
- Understanding light ratios
- Calculating flash exposure
- Using a speedlight and strobes
- Using reflectors and light modifiers to achieve certain lighting effects
Intermediate photographers interested in taking their portrait photography to the next level. Students should have an understanding of exposure and shooting in manual mode. No prior experience with lights is necessary.
- Non-members: $695.00 + $100.00 model fee
- Members: $715.50
- 5-Session Class
- 4 hours per session