Learn to capture expressive portraits using natural light.
This 3 day course will focus on exploring natural light portraiture in regards to content, composition, and style. In addition to understanding the fundamentals of exposure and light, you'll learn how to observe, modify, and control natural and ambient lighting conditions in order to create compelling and artistic portraits.
First, the class will explore what makes a portrait successful by looking at the work of contemporary portrait photographers. Then, through demonstration, assignments, and in-class practice, you'll gain first-hand experience observing and working with various natural lighting conditions, exploring the connection between quality of light and photographic mood.
During this course, you'll have the opportunity to shoot on location with a model, and you'll also learn new techniques for processing portraits using Adobe Lightroom.
- Digital camera, ready to shoot
- Prime lens (optional, but recommended)
- 5 prints of previous portrait work
- Portable/external hard drive or high-capacity flash drive (60 GB or more of free space)
- Evaluating natural and ambient lighting conditions
- Understanding the role lighting plays in photographic mood; Training the eye to observe varying lighting conditions
- Learning about contemporary photographic portraiture
- Working with the light you have: How to modify, shape, and control light
- Selecting locations, camera angles, and learning how to work with your subject
- Computer Editing
Anyone interested in portraiture and natural light photography looking to take their images to the next level. Anyone who wants to feel more comfortable with portrait photography.
- Non-members: $450.00
- Members: $405.00
- Weekend Workshop
- Saturday & Sunday