Learn the basics of digital photography, including shooting, editing, and printing.
This multi-week course is an introduction to the basics, including the creative possibilities of digital photography for beginners. Students will be encouraged to use the camera as an expressive tool as they develop an understanding of the technical and visual aspects of digital photography.
Topics will include camera operation and shooting, proper exposure, principles of composition, and understanding the use of light. Because image processing and printing will be done with the use of a computer, students should have basic computer skills.
To further enrich students’ understanding of photography, in addition to developing technical skills, students will be encouraged to explore the aesthetics of photographic expression through assignments and readings. Class time will be divided between technical lectures, discussion, shooting demos, lab time, and group critique.
- Digital SLR, or any camera with manual controls that can shoot RAW files
- Memory card (4GB or more)
- 8.5"x11" inkjet paper (Epson Premium Luster or Premium Glossy)
- Portable/external hard drive or high capacity flash drive (60GB or more of free space, Mac or FAT32 formatted drive for PC)
Brandon Jones is an interdisciplinary artist and photographer originally from Atlanta, GA. Brandon received a dual BFA in photography and painting from the University of Georgia and an MFA in photography from Tyler School of Art. His work has been shown in group exhibitions worldwide and is included in several permanent collections, including the Rare Books and Manuscripts Collection at Beinecke Library of Yale University. While Brandon's primary focus is photography, he has also worked extensively with other mediums.
- Technical basics of DSLR camera operation (aperture, shutter speed, ISO)
- Principles of proper exposure
- DSLR shooting techniques
- Adjusting and outputting your photos using Adobe Lightroom
- How to incorporate visual language into your photographs
- Computer Editing
- Digital Printing
Beginners, and anyone who wishes to gain a comprehensive understanding of the technical and aesthetic aspects of digital photography. Participants should be comfortable working on Mac computers.
- Non-members: $450
- Members: $405
- 4 session class
- Sunday Evenings
- 5:30 - 9pm
- September 10
- September 17
- October 1
- October 15