Learn the basics of digital photography, including shooting, editing, and printing.
This multi-week course is an introduction to the basics, including the creative possibilities of digital photography for beginners. Students will be encouraged to use the camera as an expressive tool as they develop an understanding of the technical and visual aspects of digital photography.
Topics will include camera operation and shooting, proper exposure, principles of composition, and understanding the use of light. Because image processing and printing will be done with the use of a computer, students should have basic computer skills.
To further enrich students’ understanding of photography, in addition to developing technical skills, students will be encouraged to explore the aesthetics of photographic expression through assignments and readings. Class time will be divided between technical lectures, discussion, shooting demos, lab time, and group critique.
- Digital SLR, or any camera with manual controls that can shoot RAW files
- Memory card (4GB or more)
- 8.5"x11" inkjet paper (Epson Premium Luster or Premium Glossy)
- Portable/external hard drive or high capacity flash drive (60GB or more of free space, Mac or FAT32 formatted)
Michelle Cade graduated with a Masters of Fine Art in Studio Art with an emphasis in Photography from the University of the Arts in 2014 and a Bachelors of Art in Studio Art with an emphasis in Photography and a Minor in Art History in 2011 from California State University San Bernardino. She started working in a darkroom twelve years ago and since then has gone on to work as a photographer in California, Pennsylvania and Maine. Her work has been shown in California, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. Cade focuses on traditional photography and alternative processes, but also has a strong interest in integrating the technology of digital photography into these.
- Technical basics of DSLR camera operation (aperture, shutter speed, ISO)
- Principles of proper exposure
- DSLR shooting techniques
- Adjusting and outputting your photos using Adobe Lightroom
- How to incorporate visual language into your photographs
- Computer Editing
- Digital Printing
Beginners, and anyone who wishes to gain a comprehensive understanding of the technical and aesthetic aspects of digital photography. Participants should be comfortable working on Mac computers.
- Non-members: $450
- Members: $405
- 4 session class
- Sunday Evenings
- January 10 - January 31
- 6 - 9:30pm (3.5 hours/session)