Do you have a basic understanding of studio lighting techniques but need help taking your skills to the next level?
Even for photographers who have experience with lighting equipment, combining studio lighting and portraiture can be downright terrifying. Do you use a flash or studio strobe? What about all those umbrellas and funny looking light modifiers? How close should the light be to the model? What angle should you place them at?
In this course, students will work in a fully equipped studio with professional models under the guidance of commercial photographer Jeff Shaffer. By studying and recreating the lighting techniques of famous portraitists, such as Platon, Nadav Kander, and Annie Leibovitz, students will develop a thorough understanding of how to control light in a studio setting so that they can achieve any lighting effect, no matter what equipment they have. Along the way, they’ll develop their own signature style, as well as the confidence to face the studio on their own.
This course is designed for you if you:
• Have a basic understanding of studio lighting but feel lost when working in the studio by yourself
• Have experience lighting product shots but are not sure how to apply these skills to portraits
• Want to learn how to take your portraits to the next level
• Are looking to build a portfolio with images of professional models
• Need to develop your own photography style
Prerequisite: Avedon to Leibovitz: The Art of Portraiture I, or equivalent experience.
- Digital SLR
Jeff Shaffer has been a commercial/advertising photographer and video producer for over 25 years. Together with his wife and business partner, photographer Dawn Smith, he has produced award-winning advertising and editorial imagery for clients such as Bon Appetit, Family Circle, Guinness, Heineken, Neiman-Marcus, Poland Spring, and Smirnoff. A desire to share this experience and knowledge has led to a second career as an educator and trainer. For more than 15 years, in both higher education and training facilities, Jeff has developed and taught many courses in digital photography, studio lighting and software. He has trained a wide variety of corporate, higher education, and government employees, as well as many individuals of all ages, careers and interests.
- Understanding how light affects the subject
- Understanding light ratios
- Calculating flash exposure
- Using a speedlight and strobes
- Using reflectors and light modifiers to achieve certain lighting effects
Intermediate photographers with previous lighting experience who want to take their portrait photography to the next level. Students should have an understanding of exposure and shooting in manual mode and be familiar with studio lighting equipment.
- Non-members: $695.00 + $100.00 model fee
- Members: $715.50
- 5-Session Class
- 4 hours/session